If you've not yet come across the concept of the 'internet of things' then have a look at this video or read up on it here. It's been about for some years now and essentially describes how devices have become smarter, connected, and part of social media too.
Now with the ubiquity of sensors and new applications for them, have a read of this article in the New York Times on the new technologies that will change the future. A lot of them are simply different applications of the internet of things, social media and body data. Think Kickstarter's famous Pebble Watch.
My nine personal favourite tech trends from the NYT feature all include sensors and body data:
- Electric clothes - sensors in your clothes that alter the fabric based on body data
- Analytical undies - sensors in your pants that help you work out more efficiently
- The congestion killer - auto cruise control that cuts traffic jams by creating a smart web of all cars
- The anti-slouch screen - computers that see your posture and adjust / tell you to adjust to improve your health
- Your body, your login - devices that sense movement as a unique biometric password
- GPS shopping trollies - the trolley, your shopping list and alerts are connected to take you to the right parts of the shop and let retailers offer you better (cleverer!) deals
- Teeth that think - sensors in your mouth that help oral hygiene based again on body data
- Sleep mining - sensors that collect data to improve your health while you sleep
- The constant gardener - GPS sensors that help farming and gardening to me more efficient and productive