Facebook's just opened up its API. In laymans terms, that means anyone can programme a new piece of software, an application, a widget, whatever, that makes Facebook statuses do new and exciting stuff.
What can this be compared to, and why is it important to digital PR and online communities?
Because here's the kind of stuff that could concievably happen new that the API is open (this is what happened after Twitter opened its API, like two years ago)....
- You could post your status to your blog
- You could search statuses and track for consumer trends
- A status could be open, not closed, whereas your photos are still private
- Yous status could plug into other social networks and social media, like Flickr photos, Delicious tags, Evernote pictures or Upcoming events
- More to come... I'm just having a think :-)